Thai massage is more energizing and rigorous than most other forms of massage and is like doing yoga without having to do any of the work. A Thai massage session will help you release stresses, relieve pain, and help you function more effectively in all areas of your life. But i will be focusing on how it will help you perform better in sports, stay injury free and enhance any rehabilitation programe.
What can you do?
• Applying R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) is essential.
• Cold therapy should be applied as soon as possible to help to quickly stop any internal bleeding.
• Use a compression bandage or sleeve.
• See a sports injury professional who can advise on treatment and rehabilitation.
• Wear a heel pad to raise the heel and shorten the calf muscle, taking some of the strain off it. It is a good idea to put heel pads in both shoes or one leg will be longer than the other creating an imbalance and possibly leading to other injuries including back injuries.
What can a sports injury specialist do
• Prescribe anti-inflammatory medication e.g. ibuprofen which is beneficial in the first few days after the injury.
• Use sports massage techniques for calf muscles after the initial acute phase.
• Prescribe a full rehabilitation programme.
Once the initial healing has taken place it is essential the lower leg is fully strengthened in order to reduce the likelihood that the injury will reoccur or have an adverse effect on future performances.